Saying Yes to the Dress
You’ve got the ring and now all you can think about is the perfect dress. This is THE most important dress you will ever wear…but how does one
go about finding that special one that makes you just want to scream “YES TO THE DRESS”?
We’ve outlined a few do’s and don’ts to finding that special gown just for you:
Leave your bridal entourage behind:
- Too many people = too many opinions. We suggest bringing just a couple of your closest friends and family who have your best interest at heart. Keep in mind that the dress should resemble your personality, and you shouldn’t concern yourself with pleasing everyone else. If you don’t feel comfortable in your once-in-a-lifetime-gown… speak up!
There is no need to rush to the bridal shop too soon:
- Nowadays couples are opting for longer engagements. We suggest you have most of the wedding details sorted out prior to shopping for the dress. The venue, along with the time of year can influence the style of the dress. For example, a heavy silk gown with lots of bling may work for a grand ballroom, but look completely out of place at a beachfront ceremony.
- Aim to start shopping about 6-8 months before the wedding, as you may regret buying a dress one year in advance. Now this doesn’t mean you can’t do a little “window shopping” on Pinterest; indulge in the plethora of styles out there and get an idea of what you really want.
- On another note, procrastinating on gown shopping is also not recommended, as some dresses take months to be delivered and properly altered.
Finding “The One” shouldn’t take 100 trial and errors:
- Ever notice how frustrated the consultants get on “Say Yes to the Dress” when a bride comes in saying she’s tried over 50 dresses? Can we blame them? Trying on over 10 dresses can lead to too much confusion. Try on a couple of silhouettes and narrow it down from there. Don’t lose track of what you’ve originally had in mind, have faith and enjoy the experience.
Do NOT – I repeat DO NOT try on any dresses over your budget:
- As a recently engaged lady myself, this is one I have to keep telling myself over and over. Although I have not yet gone shopping, there’s a running joke in my family that I can point out the most expensive item in a store with my eyes closed. It’s not my fault I have champagne taste on a beer budget! But let’s be realistic, if you try on a gown way over budget, nothing else will come close to that one. Let’s not set ourselves up for disaster; advise the consultant of your budget so that she can find something you’ll fall in love with, at the right price.
To set you out on the right path, here’s are some of our favorite bridal shops in the area, known for their beautiful dresses and their beyond amazing customer service:
White Montreal: 105 St-Paul West (2nd floor), Old Montreal, Quebec H2Y 1Z5 (514-507-4296)
Boutique J’Adore : 336 Lakeshore, Pointe-Claire, QC H9S 4L7 (514.777.5283)
Creations Vezina: 630 Principale , Ste-Dorothée, Laval H7X 1E1 (450-689-2204)
Be sure to call ahead and make an appointment!
Happy Shopping Lovelies!