“Resolutions are most often empty promises for those who have an abundance of dreams, but refuse to wake up and live them.”
― Steve Maraboli
There’s a lot of hype each year about New Years…The plans, the outfits, the ball dropping, the champagne and the midnight kiss. We put such pressure on ourselves to make it just perfect. It’s also a time when people set resolutions for themselves. But are setting these resolutions really beneficial?
New Year’s resolutions CAN be a great way to start the year as long as you actually take some time to think about what they actually mean for you. For many, the new year is a time for fresh starts and to set goals and make change. But what’s the benefit of these lofty resolutions if you don’t actually follow through with them? What starts out as a fresh beginning, with optimism and eagerness, often ends as failures and disappointments.
So, simply making a resolution with no feasible goals, plan, timeline and ground work can cause you to experience negative thoughts as you fail to meet your challenges or expectation- which is one of the top reasons why people end up failing to achieve their resolutions and revert back to their old and limiting habits.
Let’s try something NEW for setting resolutions this year! Instead of resolving to JUST do things and being disappointed and discouraged when they don’t happen, lets have a concrete PLAN of ACTION to make CHANGE.
7 Steps to Help you Successfully Achieve your Goals:
2. Be in the present. List all goals in the present tense not the future. Being in the present validates your goals and makes them the here and now rather then a potential possibility for the future.
3. Make a realistic timeline. While goals are great, they won’t happen on their own. An important part of the job is writing the goal down. Have an action plan for how to achieve your goal and create ways of measuring or tracking your progress. Use calendars or journaling to help document your timeline.
4. Commit to your plan. Determine if your goals are in line with your priorities, meaning – what matters most in your life. Set goals that are motivating and commit because you believe in it, and not because you feel it is expected of you by others.
5. Take action. For goals to bring fulfillment and happiness they must be in line with your priorities. Then and only then will everything come together. The fulfillment you have been looking for will become yours!
6. Get support. Consider finding someone to support you in reaching your goal, who will be your cheerleader, hold you accountable and make sure you stick to it and follow through with your goal, even when things seem impossible.
7. Be positive. Don’t be so hard on yourself. Acknowledge your accomplishments, and be motivated by your successes- even if they’re small. Remember it’s not quantity but quality that truly counts!